Souvla is a popular dish from Cyprus. Main difference between Souvla and other kinds of kabobs is that it consists of large pieces of meat threaded on longer skewer that are slow cooked for a longer period of time (depending on the meat kind and size) and little away from the hot charcoal. Souvla is usually made with lamb, pork, or chicken.
In this recipe we are going to make Chicken Souvla with SkeweRack
- Yield: 6 kabobs
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Marinating time: 2 hrs
- Cooking time: 1:15 – 2:15 hrs
- Chicken thighs cut into three-quarter inch cubes - 2 lbs
- Red wine or a good red wine vinegar - 2 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Fresh ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Greek oregano ground - 1 tsp
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- In a bowl, toss the cubed chicken things with the red wine or the red wine vinegar and the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the meat with the oregano, pepper and salt and toss to evenly distribute the seasonings on the cubed meat. To help tenderize and infuse flavors in the meat, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours. Note: Avoid marinating the meat for longer than two hours if red wine vinegar is used. Longer marinating than a period of two hours can result in the meat absorbing too much of the vinegar taste. If red wine is being used, the cubed meat can marinate for up to two days. If marinating the cubed meat for two days, be sure to use the sea salt in the seasoning.
- Thread the meat onto the skewers up to the length where the meat I exactly above the charcoal. Skewers of SkeweRack are strong enough to hold the weight of large chicken pieces.
- The two pounds of cubed chicken thighs should be enough for about 6 skewers.
- Secure the meat threaded skewers over the SkeweRack rack. Place the SkeweRack over the hot charcoal grill.
- Turn the skewers often until browned evenly on all sides.
- Once browned for 15 minutes on all sides, move the SkeweRack away from the heat to avoid the outsides to burn.
- Let the skewers cook slowly for another hour or one and half hours.
- Serve the Cypriot Souvla with wedges of lemon to squeeze over the cooked chicken cubes.